Quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Rat:

Socal, your mods are pretty. OK. You paid through the nose for that Stage 5 stuff though. You couldn't/wouldn't have done it yourself. There are those of us who don't wait for the bolt on mods to be released...we fab it ourselves.

"Pretty" That sounded just a little bit condescending.

Just to keep things in perspective:

I don't know of anyone who has designed a home built lift kit for the X or Frontiers on any board. Now take it one step further and are there any home built kits that increase suspension travel significantly?

"we fab it ourselves"

Do you really?

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't seen any home fabbed upper arms, lower arms and the home fabbed steering kits I have seen were hack jobs. I do know of some home built modifications done to stock steering and integration with the SLR center link.

That's about it.

I don't know a lot of people who have the experience or the knowledge of ackerman angle and geometry coupled with the expereince to put it to metal , including myself, that I would trust with my life and the lives of my family. AFAIK 99% of everyone who has ANY lift at all bought it from someone. And that's just to clear tires.

I didn't wait for SLR introduce a "bolt-on" kit. I pushed him to get it going so that I could get it on my truck. laugh As far as being bolt on, yes. The arms use stock pivots. The shock mounts on the frame have to be cut off and new ones welded on so there is some fabrication required.

Let's get back to these amazing home fabricators and hard core off roaders. Let me see some gutted interiors , pulled dashes ,roll cages and fuell cells along with some home built suspension. We're just really now starting to see SAS's on some more recent Nissan models.

Trimming fenders and cutting the trucks body doesn't make anyone a fabricator. It's an art and best left to experts.

My real point is that all the ragging on XOC as the pussified version of a Nissan off-road site is really miss directed. There aren't that many "hard core" offroaders that run Nissans at all and when it really comes down to it Nissans are a joke in the eyes of true "hard core" off roaders.

It's the same in the desert racing and pre-runner world. Traditionally they have been undebuilt and under powered. Toyota and Ford have fun away with the market. Built Nissans are rare and few and far between. I know of two Nissan trucks running or that have recently run in MDR and a Frontier that might be in the works as a Stock 7 truck. I've yet to see a Nissan compete in any rock crawling class.

That simple fact that they are so rare really reflects that there are few people who have really built a Nissan rig that truly excelled in it's chosen off-road discipline.

No matter what board you read. wink