Here is the link to the story in question.

Quote:
Sabry said she had been in bed with her husband, Farid Abdul Khahir, 23, after celebrating their first anniversary when they heard loud noises outside. Khahir, thinking the house was being attacked by looters, pulled his rifle from under the bed - most Iraqis have at least one firearm in their homes - and fired out the window, Sabry said.

Soldiers bolted up the stairs and fired at least seven shots through the closed bedroom door, hitting him in the leg and torso, Sabry said. The soldiers took him to a hospital, where he died. The next day, other soldiers came to the house to retrieve the bullets, relatives said.
This is a terrible thing if indeed the article is accurate. But the guy fired out the window, what were the soldiers supposed to do?

Quote:
His relatives said he had been in Hussein's Fedayeen militia before the war but quit and had been working at odd construction jobs.
These Fedayeen were supposed to be cold-blooded killers. Did he just turn over a new leaf? "I am done torturing, I think I will build houses now." He was a Fedayeen, even his relatives said so. That is like saying, "I was a killer for the mafia, but I quit and became a bread salesman."

I feel bad for these people I really do, but the stress level for the troops must be unbelievable. So do the math, ex-fedayeen fires on troops with a shotgun. Hmm, sounds like a pretty reasonable response to me. I wonder how many more of these incidents have similiar circumstances.