Quote:
Originally posted by Costas:
I'm not defending ALL traditional families specifically. I know there are many abusive 'traditional' families out there. What I don't like is being sold on the idea that gay 'families' are as valid as 'traditional' families. They clearly are not. What would happen if everyone turned gay overnight? The human race would disappear (again...technology aside).

What an individual chooses to do in their own home is their business, but I can't agree that it's normal or in the best interests of the human race.
Fair enough, but since when did anybody care about the best interests of the human race?

I'm still not clear on why a gay family isn't as valid. Procreation may be important to the survival of the human race, but as the ratio is anywhere from 10-1 to 50-1 (depending on whose study you believe), that is a non-issue.

Not to mention that most of the gay population isn't going to procreate either way. They aren't going to go into a straight relationship just to procreate.

I'm sure you don't have this view, but the argument you are using is easily transfered to why people with disabilities shouldn't procreate. After all, wouldn't that be in the best interest of the human race? Let the strong survive?
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist