Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
Fair enough, but since when did anybody care about the best interests of the human race?

I'm still not clear on why a gay family isn't as valid. Procreation may be important to the survival of the human race, but as the ratio is anywhere from 10-1 to 50-1 (depending on whose study you believe), that is a non-issue.

Not to mention that most of the gay population isn't going to procreate either way. They aren't going to go into a straight relationship just to procreate.

I'm sure you don't have this view, but the argument you are using is easily transfered to why people with disabilities shouldn't procreate. After all, wouldn't that be in the best interest of the human race? Let the strong survive?[/QB]
I'll take another approach...a man and woman being both biologically and psychologically different both bring different contributions to the table when it comes to shaping our future society in our children. A gay couple may have differing personalities, but bring the virtually the same
mindset to the table, and thus deprive children of BOTH sex qualities (I'm not sure if this is clear), and thus the child does not get the nurturing it needs from both sides.

You're right, I certainly wouldn't categorize disabilites the same way, because it does not take away from the two-sex mindset.

Like I said, I've never gay-bashed and never will...but traditional family values can only be instilled through a traditional family model.

Again, I note...why is there 'gay pride day'?? I don't respect that at all - are they saying their sexual makeup is an more than noteworthy than mine? Do we have 'straight pride day'? Maybe we should...if the gay community would simply go about their life without promoting their lifestyle, there would probably be less controversy. I'm not saying stay in the closet, but don't go out of your way to show me you're different and expect that I'll see you as an equal.