Quote:
Originally posted by Costas:
Again, I note...why is there 'gay pride day'?? I don't respect that at all - are they saying their sexual makeup is an more than noteworthy than mine? Do we have 'straight pride day'? Maybe we should...if the gay community would simply go about their life without promoting their lifestyle, there would probably be less controversy. I'm not saying stay in the closet, but don't go out of your way to show me you're different and expect that I'll see you as an equal.
But straight people are always "promoting" their lifestyle. How often do you go down the street, and see people holding hands, kissing, and in some instances, basically doing everything but taking their clothes off? You just don't notice it as much, because it doesn't seem out of the ordinary.

Nobody is saying their lifestyle/behavior is more noteworthy. Sometimes you have to shock to get your point across. Bra-burning, anyone? Technically speaking, a gay pride parade isn't for straight people. It's an event for gays. Friends I know who participate do it to show others (who are in the closet) that it isn't a crime to be gay. That they can be proud of who they are, and not feel ashamed, even though a good portion of the general population would like them to be ashamed.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist