Quote:
Originally posted by Costas:
Moby, I wouldn't want them to be ashamed to be gay...it most definitely is not a crime
In some places, it very much is a crime.

Quote:
...but have you seen those parades? Come to Vancouver sometime when it's on - it's appalling. If they want to hold hands in public and kiss or whatever like straight couples do, then fine...but a celebration???
I've been to a couple. And I don't disagree that some of it is WAY over the line. But to me it's not over the line because they are gay. To me, it's over the line regardless of who is involved. I don't like to see that kind of behavior in public from *anyone*.

Quote:
Have you heard the accusations of 'discrimination' when it's convenient? Many use it as a crutch to their advantage.
I don't disagree that that does happen...but I'm not sure where this matters in this instance.

Quote:
If they didn't go so far out of their way to 'prove a point', then the rest of us wouldn't make a big deal out of it. If you want to be treated equally, don't make a big deal out of your 'lifestyle'. I think the same applies to minority groups.
Maybe, but look at all the instances where this kind of thing happens where people don't make a big deal about it. Irish Catholics have St. Patrick's Day parades. There is a black pride month. There are parades for the Chinese New Year. Why shouldn't people be able to have an event for themselves to celebrate themselves or a facet of their lives?
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist