Quote:
Originally posted by Aero Steve:
Quote:
Originally posted by Outback:
[b]Well just because I would not give out Free skids do not slam my work!
From what I know of the mods on Admin's truck your skids won't even fit, so what's this about free skids?

I've already got the skid row armor, so I'm not looking for a handout. But I will take the opportunity to slam your skids.

They are inadequately attached. The 3 bolts where the front 2 plates overlap are easy to strip and way undersized for the loads they will see. I wouldn't be surprised to have someone shear those and wedge the engine skid into the ground. One bolt in the middle of the transfer case skid is also too little. It will allow the corners to snag and fold when backing over things. You need to put at least a bolt in each corner of the plate. and preferably 2 more where it crosses the crossmember with the torsion bar adjusters. You need to cut out slots for the torsion bar adjusters. Many of us have to crank on those periodically to tweak the ride height. Pulling the skids to get at those bolts is a pain in the ass.

The flat plate designs are really inadequate and will flex too much. You should have a folded edge (like the Skid Row plates) to provide some longitudinal rigidity to the skids. A flat sheet of metal is too easy to bend. A sheet with a 90 degree fold is much harder to bend. It's real easy to bend sheet when you have a 5000lb truck pushing it into a rock. I realize it also increases the manufacturing cost. You really do get what you pay for.

The bend at the front of the engine skid is just asking to get crushed running over things. The front 2 plates should have a smooth transition to slide over things. The bends up to meet the crossmember are just asking to snag the vehicle.

Why even bother with 10 Gauge? It's 30% thinner than 1/4". Is the cost difference enough to matter. Or did you just have some laying around that you could pass off to someone who doesn't know any better.

If this is your idea of trail tested, they should be fine for splash shields.

Welcome to XOC [Wave] [/b]
So what you're saying is, if they made them just like Skid Rows, then they'd be good enough? Because you basically just described skid row's plates to a 'T', there...

I've got a PLASTIC front engine skid on my truck, that takes the same beatings my Skid Row transfer case skid... It has 0 folds, is completely flat (except how it bends on cross members, and weighs about 35 lbs... It does just fine. Everything doesn't have to be contorted into odd geometric shapes, to have enough strength to take a beating...