Quote:
Originally posted by retro:

While I support the troops, I can't help but question the logic that placed them in Iraq. This may be the biggest blunder in US history, and it sets a bad precident (America as an aggressor).

From a post 9/11 point of view, it seems that our homeland security, our fire departments, our police departments, and related support services (including the power grid) would have been much better served if the $87 billion (and previous expenditures) was spent here at home instead of Iraq.

I hope this 9/11 is uneventful, and that the current administration will again ponder the lessons learned on that day.

As for Iraq, since we're there, I hope the vast majority of Iraqi people appreciate the efforts of our troops. If a successful, peaceful nation could emerge there, all might be worth while.
Come on pal... in no way are we an aggressor. You watch too much CNN or Peter Jennings. Iraq was one of the best things we have done. My fear is that it will be fucked up by the current administration buckling under the pressure from our largely anti-American press and vocal appeasement crowd.

Too many years of appeasement and doing nothing about international terrorism led to 9/11 .... along with our insanely ridiculous visa programs, etc.

The mistake we made with Iraq was we didn't realize how fucked up the internal structure of the country was prior to the war. You can blame a lot of that on the UN. They were supposed to make sure all the money Saddam received over all those years of sanctions went to the people of Iraq in the form of food and infrastructure. It didn't and the UN never said a damn thing nor did a damn thing. Another mistake was not sending in enough troops.

Of course the other usual mistake we make is not clamping down on the other terrorist supporting nations like Iran and Syria. You can put much of the blame for this squarely at the feet of the U.S. State Deptartment. (The State Dept. also has a degree of culpability in the attacks of 9/11)

As far as domestic security. If we did the right things it would cost us almost nothing. The Dept. of Homeland Security is a joke. Pure smoke and mirrors. Why would you want to give them more money? We now have a state like California that will be giving drivers licenses to illegal aliens. In order to get these licenses these illegal alien criminals need a taxpayer ID number from the federal government. The feds give out these numbers to illegals who are here in violation of Federal Law. (WTF is this?... the feds encourage this shit in violation against their own laws...) Where the hell is The Department of Homeland Security on this issue? Where the fuck is Tom Ridge? What good are they if they don't enforce their own laws and actually aid and abet terrorists and criminals entering this country? Not much Homeland Security going on as far as I can see. The primary responsibility of the federal government is national security. What good are they if they don't fulfill their responsibilities and even enforce their own laws?

The 87 billion should go directly to the military. More troops, more weapons.

9/11 happened because we were asleep at the wheel. We obviously still are on the domestic front.

Iraq will turn out alright, but we must be much tougher with those countries helping the terrorist effort in Iraq. We also must be much tougher with the Iraqi's themselves. They don't feel very secure with the terrorist element walking amongst them. Iraq is not Germany after WWII. Stabilizing an Islamic country is no easy task. It doesn't take too many fingers to count the number of stable Islamic countries in the world (Maybe one).

With our current State Dept. and tendancy towards appeasement.... also let's not forget this buckling under pressure to allow a bigger UN presence. The UN means nothing but more appeasemnt, more terrorism, more anti-Americanism. A big mistake. I wonder how it will turn out. With UN involvement.... it will never turn out to anything but a disaster.