Quote:
Originally posted by NY Madman:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:

So do we just ignore the Geneva Convention?
The answer is a definite YES.

The Geneva Convention only applies to conflicts amongst the signatories and nation states with professional armies. It does not apply to fighting terrorists.

Besides, we are the only nation who ever adhered to any principles agreed upon in any of the Geneva Conventions. If the whole world uses these agreements like toilet paper, why shouldn't we? They are worthless and outdated.

I noticed all the hate America liberals and terrorist sympathizers tried to use the Geneva Convention argument relating to the terrorists held prisoner in Gitmo. Are you a member of that crowd Moby?
Of course I'm not. And I agree, that with the terrorists organizations, we have to get down and dirty.

We aren't the only ones who have adhered to Geneva. Some signatories that I imagine haven't violated it: US, UK, Switzerland, Sweden, Norway, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Iceland, Germany, France, Denmark, Australia, Austria, Canada, etc. And I'd bet most haven't - Geneva only applies to war-related things - how many of the countries have been involved in wars since 1949?

Regardless. Some people say we should just go in and completely obliterate Iraq. Should we say fuck the moral high ground? I was speaking specifically of Iraq with regards to Geneva.

I remember reading a story once about an American company that had operations in Central America. They were having problems with people getting kidnapped and held for ransom. Finally they hired some mercinaries. The next time the kidnappers went to pick up a payment, there was no payment. Instead, they were given a list of them and their families, their schedules and what they did every day. The kidnapping stopped. Obviously this is a much smaller scale, but it's one step to getting all the terrorists - infiltrate, find them, and (unlike the company) either capture them or eliminate them.

As far as Gauntanamo, I haven't see any reason to bitch about how the prisoners there have been treated or whatever. There is only one thing in the Geneva Convention that I can see might be brought up - POW's must be allowed to notify next of kin. But, like you said - these aren't professional military members. (However, the fourth convention gives civilians the same rights as POW's - meaning technically, they should be able to notify next of kin).
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist