A few things I find amazing. Number one, Strider has been here almost as long as me and has fewer posts - haven't run across that one yet - except for people who joined last week. Number 2, everyone keeps referring to the U.S. - I assume - as a democracy. Folk's it's a republic. Democracies don't work any more than true communism or utopias. Democracies are more like, oh, I don't know, the democratic party. Everyone thinks they should have a say in what happens and pretty much pouts when they don't get their way. Number 3, this whole Constitutional ammendment thing. Didn't we learn anything from prohibition? You can't and shouldn't legislate morality. Is it really a threat to your way of life if two guys or gals want to get married? What's next, a push to prevent dog lovers from marrying cat lovers? As a guy, I see it simply as a reduction in the competition. I understand the arguement that perhaps God may not like it, but there are quite a few things we do on a daily basis that probably doesn't sit well either. In fact, if you consider the teachings of all the world's religions, everyone is going to hell. Obviously, something is faulty.
Protestors - who gives a damn? Think about it - it's a bunch of people throwing a collective temper tantrum because things aren't going their way. As far as giving aid the to the enemy, Congress and those wanting to prosecute people actually being shot at for killing an enemy, provide a lot more aid and comfort. If a guy has to worry everytime he thinks about pulling a trigger, the enemy has a chance to escape or worse, shoot back.
What I find to be the funniest statement of the century (so far) is "I (We) support our troops." How? Are you lobbying for the leveling of any city that has terrorist activities? In Vietnam, we used defoliants to deny the enemy a place to hide. Just think of a JDAM as "urban defoliant". Have you advocated unrestricted warfare? The bad guys certainly practice it. Don't give me any bullshit about lowering ourselves to their level either. War is war. If you want to win, you use all your assets. What we are doing now is masturbating in a brothel. The truth of the matter is, we don't want to win. We are trying to simply maintain the status quo - keep the terrorists at bay so we can live our little lives at home. The last time we actually fought with some balls was WWII. We firebombed whole cities. Hell, we used the most powerful weapon in our arsenal to end the war. Now we fight with lip service. I guess I'm drifting into a whole new thread, but I'm getting a bit tired of America bullshitting itself. Americans, as a whole have no clue what goes on outside our borders. Good example: A bunch of female Reps and Senators went to Iraq to help teach female candidates how to run a campaign. They showed up with buttons, signs, and bumper stickers. Ignoring the fact that a campaign button doesn't quite go with the traditional black robes you see women wearing all over Iraq, the biggest campaign problems these women face is staying alive until the election. If I were these women, I'd be a little nervous about trusting the US to provide security if that's how its lawmakers are.