Quote:
Originally posted by Digityzed:
Quote:
Originally posted by electrobuzz:
[b]The leader of my country has made an urgent pledge spread freedom to "the darkest corners of our world". What the hell? Freedom is not Country Crock. It is not a product; it is an ideal, an attainable one that CANNOT BE IMPOSED.
I could not agree with this statement more electro. [ThumbsUp]

What works in countries like the U.S., Canada, England, etc. are not necessarily good for the countries of the middle east. Please don't jump to a conclusion thinking that what I'm saying is that the middle east is better off under dictatorships, because that's not what I mean. I'm saying that countries in the middle east (i.e. Iraq) don't want to be "United States II", and by having us come in with guns ablazing saying, "This is what works for us, so you should do this too", is not the way to conduct diplomacy.[/b]
You know I have been hearing this same lame-brained argument since the beginning of the war. There are several things wrong with it.

1) The argument is rooted in elitism. Many that float it think the people of the region are to stupid to rule themselves. This is of course true racism. It comes from the same racist leftists in America that think blacks can't take care of themselves without the evil white man helping them out and treating them like children.

2) We are not making them America II. Their government will not be like ours. It will be theirs. They will create their own constitution and laws. The interim government is not even like ours.

3) This is not diplomacy. This is a war.

4) The people in Iraq want to vote. Recent polls showed that 80% were likely to turn out to vote, DESPITE the threat of violence. The Iraqis want to rule themselves.

5) This has worked many times in the past. Japan is probably the best example. Turkey and Afghanistan would be two others that come to mind. We have fought to free many peoples from evil men, and the fact is they have pretty much all wanted to be free to govern themselves.

We have dealt with terrorists trying to derail elections before. The same thing happened then that will happen Sunday. The people will risk everything to exercise their freedom.