Quote:
Originally posted by TimR:
Quote:
Originally posted by fmsmitty:
[b]Marriage is a Christian Sacrement. God did not intended for marriage to be for non believers, hence much of the problem with divorce in our society.
Errr, what?

There is a Sacrement of Marriage in _some_ christian traditions. It isn't a sacrement in all of them. It is incorrect to state the reverse, that Marriage is a christian sacrement.

Marriage is not a word owned exclusively by Christians. The word itself comes from the Latin 'maritus'.

Estonian pre-Christian mythology speaks of heroes and their wives. The institution of marriage existed even before Judaism appeared, not to mention Christianity.

There is a problem with divorce in this country, because their are plenty of people who call themselves christians who find it easier to tell other people how to live, than to follow the path of Christ themselves.

Tim
(edited to capitalize Christ)[/b]
Sorry Tim. I didn't know you wanted a response from me on this. I believe it is very difficult and many times impossible for marriage to exist without God in the relationship. Feel free to do the math on this. What are the divorce statistics these days? I think it's more than half of all marriages end in divorce. I've also got another stat for you. Less than 1% of all marriages where couples pray together end in divorce (stat from Tommy Nelson's book The Book Of Romance: What Solomon Says About Love, Sex and Intimacy)

Marriage to me is a sacrament- defined as a sacred moment. Plus, I appreciate the linguistics lesson on where the word marriage comes from. The fact of the matter is marriage cannot exist without guidelines. I believe that I must follow the guidelines passed down through history and written down in text in the Bible. I don't believe I have ever once told you or someone else how to live. Forgive me if I have. You are right about the fact that there are Christians who find it easier to tell other people how to live, than to follow the path of Christ themselves. I am sure there are also many others guilty of this besides Christians. By the way this is also mentioned in scripture from Matthew as a direct quote from teachings of Jesus.