USMC issue combat boots. However, since field exercises were completed, I took a shower (there's an old shower facility in the middle of the load-out area leading to the ranges at Camp Roberts, which I would NOT recommend using) and had running shoes on without socks. The boots were with my gear, which had departed on a truck. So there was no uniform...the NG soldiers working range detail were surprised to see some jacka$$ in civies walking through the desert with no shoes. Very...biblical. All I needed was for Moses to part the brown sea and I would have been good. All in all this was a good experience...I learned a few things about approach angles in the soft stuff and also that if a HMMWV has trouble with a trail, I shouldn't try to prove anything. Just my $.02. Thanks everyone for their support...I have to speak very highly of my Xterra after all of this, and while changing fluids the water intrusion in the hub bearings was extensive, but the diffs were surprisingly clean. Vents must have stayed above water, and the gasket sealant around the plugs worked wonders.