Earlier this year, I had run across a mention in a forum about some trails organized by the Clay County Alabama Chamber of Commerce. I went to the county's website where they mentioned the trails (actually just an organized trail of existing county and forest roads). When I emailed them to get more information, they sent two very nice foldout maps showing the trails (one is an off-road trail, the other three are geared to sports cars, motorcycles and just general Sunday driving).

The trailhead, so to speak, is about a 90 minute drive from our house. It starts off as well-graded dirt county roads, then gradually gets more challenging as you go along. End to end, we spent maybe 3 leisurely hours on the trail.

Early on today's trip, we met up with two families in a pair of Jeeps and ended up spending most of the rest of the trail riding as a group of three vehicles. They were really nice folks. It was great having some company on the trail, though it would have been a fun trip with just the three of us (my wife, myself and our niece) had we not met them along the way.