I am considering the purchase of an 00 X. I would be getting this from a friend of mines sister who has had all maintenance done on schedule, babied it, used as grocery getter etc.

It has about 80K on it and is in excellent condition. I am not inquiring about price as I would be getting it for trade in value. The price I can research myself. Here is what I really need to know.

1. I am aware it is a dog, but would it possibly tow a 3200 lb. trailer on? My kids (13 and 15) have their own ski boat and when we go to the lake I take two trucks. My wife tows my boat with the Tahoe and I tow the kids boat with the Blazer. The Blazer is a 73 with stick and only has 7,500 original miles on it so when the oldest boy turns 16 he will not be driving hence the need for a second tow vehicle. My wife will use it running around rather than putting miles on the Tahoe. When 15 year old turns 16 he would use it so I am no longer a chauffer to sports practice.

2. I know there were some problems with the 00 but if it has already made it 80K should I look out for anything else? Issues such as replacing brakes and simple mechanical procedure don’t really bother me.
2a. How many miles should one get out of the tranny (auto) before it goes tits up?
2b. Would the engine live a comparable life span to a 4runner 6?
I suppose what I am really asking is are these as reliable and long running as the Toyotas?

3. How bad does the mileage such with the 6 in an 00 or other years that have basically the same driveline? I was sort of looking at 4 Runners or Durangos. I know the Durango would probably pull a house with the 318. Not sure about the 4 Runner’s 6.

4. What else should I ask that I did not?

Thanks,
Possible Future X Owner…