Gbizzle,

I can partly see where you are coming from, but if you do the math and consider other factors, you might see that these "shiny" alloy rims make alot of sense.

First, they are not that shiny, they are "anthracite machined" meaning they have a machined look and are greyish silver, not a shiny chrome, which is also an option for the bling lovers (not me). So I don't think these will look to gaudy for an offroading truck, but that is a matter of personal taste. To me, the rims on the 06 X model are too boring and look cheap.

Steel rims cost at least $50 a piece (more like $80), but there are no aftermarket rims (someone correct me if I am wrong) that fit the Next Gen X WITHOUT SPACERS! This means that you must also buy a spacer for each wheel (maybe another $50 per wheel? -someone else can comment here becuase these things must be custom ordered, I think), and many of those in the "know" (not me) feel that spacers are not a good idea, especially for serious offroading. Plus, spacers will make your wheels stick out more than they normally would, but you need them to clear your front brake calipers.

If you want to purchase the steel rims from the dealer for the 05X (i.e. the same steel rim used as the spare on the S model), then get ready to fork out $220 a piece! (that is not a "cheap" steel rim). I haven't checked the price of the plain black rims on the 06X from the stealer, but I would be surprised if they are any cheaper.

Another thing to consider is weight. The more unsprung weight (mostly wheels, tires, and axles), the less horsepower is available for accelerating the truck. Steel wheels will weigh more than aluminum. I have not compared the weight differences from this wheel and say the steel wheels that PonyBoy has purchased (I think Crager), but you must also add in the weight of the spacer, which although it will probably be aluminum (not sure here), it still adds more weight to the rotating parts.

So at the end of the day, the price of steel rims and spacers might be close to the $125 cost of these alloy rims, but you might not be as safe, you will have less horsepower, and the wheels will stick out more. Go the OEM route, and the wheels should be safe and not stick out, but you still will have less available horsepower (probably) and ALOT more cost.

Long-winded, but maybe it makes some sense?