Thanks, but I honestly don't see sainthood anywhere in my future.
Anyway, I made some progress on this subject today. I pulled the covers off of the steering column and figured out all of the bits within. Now someone with a 2001 and a DVM must also remove the cover from their column and take one measurement. Blue has volunteered to drive to my house but that means a 220 mile drive for a five minute measurement.

Here is what someone needs to do:

Remove the 5 Philips head screws from the bottom cover of the steering column. The top cover will then snap off of the bottom and can be removed. Don't look at how easy it would be to steal your X at this point. It will only be depressing.

There are 3 connectors to the headlight/foglight/turn signal switch: one with 8 wires, one with 3 wires and one with 2 wires. The measurement needed is on the 2 wire connector.

With the headlights on (low beam) and the fog lights off I need to know which of the 2 wires in the 2 wire connector is live. It should be only one of them.

Also I need to know if the 8 wire connector has a red wire and a red/black stripe wire at one end. Ignore the silver bands on the wires.

One caution: avoid the solid yellow connectors in the column (and everywhere else) in your Xterra. They are part of the airbag circuit.

------------------