I believe the area east of Seeley is State forest. no camping or burning permits needed. Just like Goodman area we camp in last July. Last May Steven, Eric, and I came across a gentleman camping there for opening weekend for fishing. Alot of fisherman and hunters put there pop-ups in this area. There are plenty of forest roads off of there to just put up a campsite.

If you go just north of Seeley about 3/4 of mile off to the right is Boedecker road. Take that 1/8 of mile, ends at Northern lights Road turn left. Follow that about a mile, it will wander around a little. Just pick one of the trails off there and set up camp. Tom should not have a problem getting back there. I do remember a sandy area on Northern lights road for 30 feet, but I believe he won't have a problem. The coordinates for this area are:

N 46 degrees, 8 minutes, 33 seconds
W 91 degrees, 19 minutes, 2 seconds

The benefit is that awesome trail cuts across Boedecker Road there, so you guys could get up and be on the trail in no time. Another area that comes to mind is the staging area for logging off of OO County Road. That was the trailhead we hit first thing last Saturday morning last May. Chris knows the area.

Hope This helps, Dan