so far so good, I have been trying to plot it on google earth. I know I went past a couple of campgrounds, found a ranch that poerty that made me wonder how they got in & out. Found a mine that had about a 40ft + mobile home, bulldozer, semi cab and couldn't believe that they were running rigs like that on these trails. Saw an abandoned generator on a trailer along the trail. As for time, I had coffee and pastries in yarnell, then started exploring. I think from the time I left 89, I'd say probally 4 hours on the trail. But I turned off at every turn to explore more. Trees were mostly scrub pine,but when we hit the canyon there were a little larger. When we tried to go east (?) in the canyon, we could see taller pines as this appeared to be going up.(was this the senator hwy?). As I said, here I had to turn around and continue south/southwest. went across a good size river bottom. Then after about an hour/hour n 1/2 came across better graded roads, a couple of small little settlements before comming to the nice graded roads above the lake.
Does this help??

A couple of days later, I tried to find castle springs, but since I seemed to be wondering aimlessly, never did find it. But, makes you wonder, how they made it back there in the day, doesn't it?