Before the X, I had a regular cherokee. It was a great vehicle off road. Disconnect the front sway bar and let it flex like mad. Having said that, it developed a leak at 45k in the rear diff pinion seal, required a 3" lift to fit 31"s, had a notoriously weak rear end, and hit the bumpstops routinely with two people in the back seat (nevermind three). Despite these things I would have bought it after the lease had the resale value not gone way down after the Liberty came out. Talk about a piece of shit. We rented a Liberty to do a little testing. The front LCA's hit anything over 4" tall, and thank god there was a skid on the front. No traction, plenty of horses w/ a resulting loss of low end torque, and tippy too. Jeeps are hit or miss. I have heard stories of cherokees lasting close to 400k, and even outlasting their door hinges. There are many more that fall into the category like the Grand mentioned in an earlier post. The only thing I miss with the X are the power and SFA. All in all I am much happier with the X, and think it will last longer...