Quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Rat:
I hate it for you guys that you didn't get to finish the trail, but it's really important on a large group run to keep the truck ahead of you in sight. If they're not anymore, call out.
Hey Andy, just my 2c - I agree the word ditched was harsh. Nobody felt like anyone just shot off ahead with no regard for us or whatever, and we knew you were probably doubling back and looking for us.

But I disagree a little with the 'keep the truck in front of you in sight' thing. Normally the reason the group gets split us is because someone less experienced gets hung up on something. Asking a newbie to be responsible for making sure they check for the truck ahead of them, while trying not to stress because they are holding up the group, and their truck is probably damaged, and they have to get unstuck, is a lot to ask someone a little inexperienced.

I do believe that is what happened this time. One of the stock vehicles got behind, and took the wrong side of a bypass, and we had to strap him off. We were trying to call with no response, we all had radios on I can assure you.

I'm definitely not the most experience of the group given we had some SWANKY guys out there, but I've been around longer than any other AZXCers and any run I've been on with any group, thats always been the case that you make sure the guy behind you is somewhere in the vacinity, ESPECIALLY when you come to fork in the road. I personally never even go past a small trail on the side of the road without making sure I know the guy behind me sees I'm staying on the main road.

Not trying to lecture anyone, as I said I know most of you guys are way more experienced than me. Just a little sensitive as I always stay back in the pack in case anyone needs help, and this is the second time in a row I've been split from the group ahead without knowing it...and of course this time I was woefully ill prepared for the trip without my GPS.

Mark