I just want to add that I think we all sort of blew this thing out of proportion. It was I who originally questioned the presence of a 2WD on a GOX-trail. I mistakenly thought the 2WD was on a "sponsored" GOX run, so I merely asked whether GOX policies were "bent" in this case. Well, it appears that just a small group of buddies, who were there to experience all that GOX is, decided they wanted to check out the beautiful Colorado scenery. Since one guy's truck is paraplegic, he opted for the emergency standby crutch (tow strap).

It appears no harm was done, nobody was inconvenienced, and prior to this discussion, nobody really even cared!

So... again, to all- Sorry I stirred up the pot a little. Those alpine passes in the San Juans are spectacular. I was there last summer. I'm glad you had a great time and had the chance to see them with your own 2 eyes.

However, in the future please do consider riding shotgun in a 4WD. It would have been sucky if your 2WD X couldn't have been strapped (for whatever reason) and you'd have had to turn around.