I'm no expert but, read below and tell me what you think.

Originally posted by Xcited

As most (or all) of you know, a few of us here have the Calmini steering system installed in our trucks and have been having problems with prematurely worn bushings in the Idler Arm assembly.

Well, I have a new bushing/sleeve kit from Calmini for mine, but before I install it I gave it to Tin Man to measure up, analyze and possibly improve on (since he is in the metals industry.)

Upon analysis, it appears that the existing material is weaker less resistant bronze for the system than what it should be, hence the rapid wear. (CDA932 / SAE 660 Bearing Bronze is what it appears to be.) Also, the sleeve in the assembly is plain cold rolled steel.

Tin Man has things started and is having new bushings/sleeves made for us from better materials. The new bushings will be made from CDA954 Aluminum Bronze and the sleeve will be made from 316 Stainless Steel.

Here are descriptions and strengths of the old and new bushing materials:

NEW BUSHINGS: CDA954 Aluminum Bronze

Generally used for bushings due to it's resistance to wetness & non-sparking quality. The marine industry, explosives, petroleum as well as the mining industry all utilize this alloy. It has a heavy-load carrying capability, resistance to corrosion & retains it's physical/mechanical strength at higher temperatures.

Tensile Strength: Minimum 85,000 psi
Yield Strength: Minimum 32,000 psi

EXISTING BUSHINGS: CDA932 / SAE 660 Bearing Bronze

Bearing Bronze is a leaded tin generally used for general utility bearings & wearplates for medium speeds & pressures. Bearing offers good wear resistance due to an excellent lubricating property & can be used for impact/shock loading.

Tensile Strength: Minimum 35,000 psi
Yield Strength: Minimum 20,000 psi

Tin Man says that, if properly maintained (lubricated), we *should* never wear theese bushing out. We are having 20 sets/kits fabricated. Whom ever wants them from here can buy them, then the rest will be offered up to other owners in other clubs.