Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH:
Turbos are not better for towing. You guys are missing the point. Turbos create a lot of heat and the more load you put on them the hotter they get. If you are towing something of any weight they will get very, very hot and will melt things in the engine compartment. Likewise, offroading creates tons of heat.

I speak from experience!

And considering how hot the air is coming through the vents imagine how hot it's going to be inside the truck with two loaded turbo's...eek!

There's no way the factory exhaust manifolds could handle the heat either, so figure in some headers and lots of shielding and insulation!

I would only do turbos if no offroading or towing were ever involved...otherwise stick with supercharging for the cool operating temperatures and instant power.
So I guess that the turbochargers in most all of the semi-trucks is a mistake then? Yes they are diesels...But have you ever seen a supercharged semi?

Yes heat is an issue, but it can be overcome. The XC has 3 heat-shields between the turbo unit and the firewall. And standing besides the car can sometimes burn my legs from the hot air flowing out from underneath.