Not entirely true. The fact of the stock vs. revised tie-rod angles statement is true, but as to whether it creates a concern for SLR's steering system design is undocumented. In several months of putting my X in situations that have severly taxed my steering, I can "personally" attest to great strength, design and dependability in my SLR steering system.

The SLR system also, unmentioned in Ian's response to the question, does rely on a redesigned centerlink, much more capable in it's resistance to torsional forces applied to it via the tie-rods. The pitman and idler arms are gussetted versions of the stock units, but that gussetting results in a double-shear solution that, when combined with the new centerlink, makes for a tremendously strong system.

I think both systems are very good replacements for stock steering woes experienced by owners of Nissan vehicles that have performed suspension lifts, or that tax their stock steering through aggressive use. The SLR system, when purchased in its entirity, does cost more than Calmini's setup, but SLR does offer various options in the purchase of the system, that allow for customization of what you decide you need in your steering setup. All options do cost more than Calmini's setup, but up until late last week, SLR was the only supplier shipping a complete system. Many unsuspecting folks had purchased and waited a large amount of time (as much as almost six months) for a Calmini steering system that "would ship next week" or "would ship next month." This time was necessary for the testing and delivery of the systems by and to Calmini, but they advertised its availability and accepted orders for the units entirely too soon to complete testing and establish dependable and timely delivery from their overseas suppliers. That in turn left many customers holding the bag, wondering when their new, improved steering would arrive, and when calling to find out, were told "Should ship next week, maybe, or next month. Definately by the end of the year....probably." So....at least they got it by now. Maybe now, we can get some real-world input as to the Calmini system's design and useability from folks other than just Ian or Carlton.

Please understand that this message board does have several member who are influenced to persuade others' opinions about aftermarket suppliers. These opinions are not necessarily wrong, seeing as how many of the suppliers for our trucks make available varied, yet wonderful solutions for common problems experienced by us. Unfortunately, however, that persuasion leads oftentimes to distortions about truths, and also creates many vicious discussions about aftermarket parts and suppliers.

My suggestion to you would be to speak with non-compensated owners of any part you have an interest in. See how the part works for them. Guage a true impression, one not determined by what a supplier may be providing to particular users to spread the word about their new products. And then call the suppliers themselves, and speak to them about their solutions. That way you can make an educated, more unbiased choice in what you want and need.

http://www.metzgardesign.com