Quote:
Originally posted by SpenceJT:
Would I be just plain stupid to do this modification (can you be somewhat nice when you tell me how stupid I am). I'm just looking for that "little extra" to push my X a bit closer to it's limit.

...of course I don't want to end up buying an engine in 2003.

My reasoning for going ahead was this. Even when merging into heavy traffic, my automatic transmission shifts between 5000-5500 rpm. Since the Eaton is rated to 16,000, and the pulley mod brings it up to 15,880 at 6000 rpm, is it really pushing the engine that hard?

Given my driving habits, and 93 octane pledge do would it still run into the category of "stupidity"? I may have a nice "never installed" ASP pulley for sale.

Thanks,

Spence
Spence,

As long as you drive reasonably there probably is nothing to worry about. Though you must concider that everyone has a different opinion of reasonable.

Here are some of the factors to take in account when it comes to engine operation: Load %, engine speed, ambient air temperature, coolant temperature, oil temperature, intake charge air temperature, fuel temperature, humidity, A/F ratio, knock, emissions, and barometric pressure. There are alot of factors that your engine must compute to get the correct operation from your engine.

That said; if you use 93 octane, and don't go to redline every time you drive the truck I doubt you would ever see a failure. Adding two pounds of boost without changing the fuel map/timing is likely not going to cause a big problem, especially if you use premium fuel.

The point I *believe* that Dave was making is that there is a point of knowing what you are playing with and the potential for damage that may occur. If someone modifies to get more boost, over-advances the timing, and then proceeds to drive the thing relentlessly under poor conditions (poor fuel, high temperatures/loads) with the rationale that the ECM can compensate for everything in any situation then that person is sadly mistaken.