Quote:
Originally posted by SCoach:
I've seen that site before, as well as others, and nothing in it seems surprising. In fact it supports my earlier comments. I don't waste time talking about dino oils because for normal use they are practically interchangable. However, one statement on that web page need to be taken to heart by 4x4 drivers...

"The extended oil drain intervals given by the vehicle manufacturers(typically 7500 miles) and synthetic oil companies(up to 25,000 miles) are for what is called normal service. Normal service is defined as the engine at normal operating temperature, at highway speeds, and in a dust free environment. Stop and go, city driving, trips of less than 10 miles, or exterme heat or cold puts the oil change interval into the severe service category, which is 3000 miles for most vehicles. "

Hey, its your engine. You do what you want to. But I am perfectly happy running synthetics in my vehicles and will continue to do so until something makes me change my ways. By and large, so many people disregard basic upkeep, I'm even amazed that we have these discussions about oil.

Here's a question... how many of you actually flush your cooling system at the specified intervals? Or how many of you flush your brakes fluid every 1-2 years? Think your dealer is doing it? Ask them.

-P
There's absolutely nothing wrong with using a synthetic oil. I just can't justify the price difference when dino will run for 5,000 - 7,500 miles. I took my Tacoma off road, and drove in dusty conditions, and had a K&N filter in it which supposedly lets more dirt in blah blah blah. My oil analysis came back with great results after 5K miles.

Synthetic oils may not break down as fast, but they still absorb dirt at the same rate as fossils. That's the issue I have. Using a top of the line oil filter is also a key factor to oil longevity. I've been using Mobil 1 oil filters for some time and am quite happy with them. Too bad they're so expensive.

I actually did a lot of research on oil filters as well, Look at this , and found a Purolator PureOne oil filter is just as good as a Mobil 1, and costs 50% LESS. Too bad it's not available for the Xterra 3.3L V6. I've e-mailed Purolator and they have no time frame for this either.

As far as radiator and brakes go, I use the "Multi-Meter" test on my antifreeze. You can put a Multi-Meter into the fluid, if it registers a certain amount on the meter, the liquid is still good. If it's over a certain number then it's becoming acidic and needs to be changed. I'll have to find my book on the actual number, but I believe it's up to .10V or something like that.

Brakes, I bleed and flush the system when the fluid becomes dark. That is usually not in a single year but more like 3-4 years.