Good thing you caught it before 36000 miles.
I’m doing battle with NissanUSA right now. Well, not really “battle”, it’s all very civil at the moment.

My truck qualifies for California Vehicle Emission Control Warranties as laid out on page 10 of the warranty manual (50 state/california emissions equipped vehicle sold in Massachusetts etc) , so any “emission-related part” or anything needed to get the thing to pass the smog test, is covered for 3 years/50000 miles (I just made it!).

However, the dealer won’t cover it and wants to charge about $400 because their computer shows those parts as 36000 mile warrantee.
So, the emissions system and ALL parts related to it are covered for 50000 miles, per the manual, and possibly mass state law. But the parts I need (which are part of said system) aren’t covered???

Sounds like someone punched in “36000” miles into the computer for some parts that should have a “50000 for 50 State/California Emissions” foot note.

I called Nissan USA, reviewed the warrantee, they guy kept saying, “well, maybe it not covered because of this…” No, see the foot note. “Oh yeah, you’re right” yada yada yada. So, they guy finally seems to agree with me but doesn’t have the power to do anything. He’s referring this to the regional rep who’s suppose to contact me within a few days.

I’m fighting this all the way. The written warrantee clearly states ANY EMMISSION RELATED PART, and they acknowledge this is a failure of the emission system and is therefore covered, but they won’t cover it??? This would be comical if there weren’t $400 at stake!

This is the second time I’ve ran into conflicts between their computer system and reality. First time around was the hitch recall – they claimed mine was not part of the recall and even did the WRONG work, leaving me with a defective hitch – they finally corrected the “mistake” and put on a good hitch after I called ‘em on it, but that’s a whole other story/rant which is buried somewhere in the XOC archives.

I like the people at this dealership, and they generally know what they are doing.
But as soon as they look at the "computer", well everything gets all f’d up.