Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH:
Quote:
Originally posted by yz250fguy:
[b]I am not an expert, but believe me when I say K & N filters are bad news.
I have ridden motocross now for 15 years, and you need to wash your foam filter and re-oil every ride for the filter to be effective in removing dirt/dust.
We did a test a few years back. You should do the same. Take some vaseline and smear it somewhere visible in the plumbing after the filter. Ride around for 3000 miles. Open up and look at the smear, it will be covered in crap.
Do the same with a stock setup, and it will be clean.
Anyone who installs a K and N is a fool, and will kill the engine prematurely. No doubt.
To let more air in, you have to let more dirt in, its just common sense. Plus, if you wring it out after you wash it like a clown , you'll ruin the invisible webbing, allowing more crap to get through. And never use gas to clean it, use kero. Gas will eat the filter.
Go back to stock if you value your engine.
I bet you use fram oil filters also!
YZ
Maybe you could explain why I spent a week following another Xterra through the dustiest conditions I have ever seen and had absolutely no dirt or dust in my intake past the filter? I intentionally looked inide the intake tubes and they were totally clean. It was never that clean before. This is picture of Rrdstarr's filter (we went on the dust from hell trip together). Mine looked pretty much the same. Neither one of us had any dirt past the filter.
Like XOC has said, K&N would be out of business by now if their filters weren't any good.

[/b]
My comment is that this K&N Aircharger actually traps dirt better than the K&N replacement filter for the stock airbox!

-Rick