Quote:
Originally posted by 8th Man:
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyclemut:
[b]Very true! The crossmember adding strength is a huge issue as well. With bogging, you never know what's a couple of inches under the mud. Torsional stability for the Next Genners will be key. Especially since I've seen a couple of them loose some major frame support in the name of an SAS. To gain some back would be nice for them (keep the replacement windshields to a minimum!).
I only know of two 2nd Gen SAS's so far and one of them is mine.

Structural rigidity was addressed on my rig by re-enforcing the boxed frame at the nose and fabricating a crossmember in the area of the steering box. An additional crossmember was fabricated at midframe which complimentes another crossmeber that secures the Cage arms and the custom skid plates.

Addressing other responses - A high pinion D44 from a 78-79 Ford Bronco armed with 30 spline chrome moly shafts (thank you Yukon), Spicer X-760 u-joints, 4.56> R/P (Yukon again...) and a good carrier (Detroit Locker) will easily handle all the abuse a 2nd Gen X can give it...assuming that the tires are in the 38" range. Nothing is grenade proof of course. I'm running 37" Super Swamper SSR's. If anything is going to snap, it'll probably be a u-joint. I carry the stock shafts with me on the trail just in case. I like to consider my 9" grenade proof but I'm trying to break it.[/b]
He was refering to me. I had a crack along my windhsield last year and replaced my windshield. I wasn't sure if it came from a rock or not. Cyclemut said it could possible be from lack of support on the frame, and to keep an eye on it. However, I have only had this one crack and have only replaced my windshield once. As of right now, I have had no issues and everything is fine. So now I believe it was just an unlucky rock that must have hit it.