Quote:
Originally posted by Xyellow:
i guess u guys are probably right, its just that once i saw that hummer doing its thing, i was just nutts about its capability. But would u guys get a lift and tires first or a grill and skid plates first???? and which company do u think has the best stuff
First a Hummer comes from the factory with much better tires than our Xterras and can have factory lockers. Don't count on keeping up with one.

Tires do more for getting farther down the trail than anything else. Even with a lift a 32" is about as big as you can go before trimming is necessary. And that's sticking with stock rims. Get some from a junk yard. The 17" rims on you 2003 S/C don't have much of a selection of tires. Most aftermarket rims have different backspacing and force you to a body lift and trimming sheet metal to fit a 33"x12.5" tire.

Skid plates couldn't hurt. How soon is dependent on the terrain you drive in, how agressive/stupid you are offroad and how you feel about denting or puncturing you gas tank, oil pan or transmission. If all you are doing is blasting through mud, I wouldn't put skid plates on. It just complicates cleening.

Grill? Do you mean a grill guard? Every one of them on the market is purely cosmetic shit. You have to replace the bumper with a Shrockworks, Calmini, ARB or TJM bumper to get any real protection. You have to do that anyway to mount a winch.