I don't necessarily disagree with you on the whole 2wd "Off Road" edition. That's an odd choice. However, how many people actually bought an '00-'04 X 2x4 XE manual with the four cylinder engine? To me, that X is practically useless. Complete lack of power, forget about off road capability, you'll have a tough time in snow, and basically you've got an SUV body, but not the SUV guts. I'm sure there were people who bought them just to have an SUV, but sales had to be very low. I don't think I ever saw one of these on the lot where I live.

My dealer had '04 XE's dressed out almost exactly the same as my '05 S and the sticker price was nearly identical. Granted, you can get the '04 a lot cheaper now as they're trying to blow 'em off the lot. My point is, that the whole "everything you need, nothing you don't" concept is a matter of opinion. What I need may not be the same as what you need, and I certianly needed a lot of the refinements on the new X. The current lowend X is a little more money then the older model, but what you get for that money is well worth it. If you're happy with an old I4 engine, 2x4 X with no options, then more power to you. But name me one other true SUV out there right now that offers as much as the X at such a great price.