Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
But that's the whole point. They've gotten rid of their cheap starting point, aka, barebones SUV. Remember the "Everything you need...nothing you don't".

Yeah, the 4x2 4-cylinder was a lame duck, and Nissan was right to drop it. Otherwise, base prices haven't changed much for comparable models as someone pointed out on another board:
The base XE 4x4 was $21,800/$22,800 (MT/AT) for 2004, the 2005 S 4x4 comes in at $22,900/$23,700 (MT/AT). In fact, the 04 SE SC 4x4 automatic, without additional options, started at $28,400, $1100 MORE than the most expensive 05 SE 4x4 automatic that comes in at $27,300 without additional options.

Well... Why do we NEED 260+ hp, with virtually no low-end torque, in a SUV? You NEED those numbers for a pavement pounding, carry the kids around but don't venture out into the wild, SUV.
Huh? Per Nissan: Powering the new Xterra is a standard 4.0-liter DOHC V6, rated at 265 horsepower and 284 lb-ft torque. The new engine ... has been specifically tuned for SUV and truck applications. Not to mention 90% of the torque is available under 2000 RPM, and Edmund's said "The 4.0 V6 provides so much bottom-end punch that it feels like a V8 has taken roost under the hood." I drove one, and while the gearing does eat a lot of the off-the-line punch, it catches up kicks in real strong real quick.

Or how about a 2WD "Offroad" edition? Is that really "Needed"? You know what a 2wd "Offroad" vehicle is called? A tow vehicle...
As I said before, it's a trim level, just like S and SE. If they gave it the locker, I'd feel the same way you do, but I see no harm here.

Everything you need, and nothing you don't? Not anymore. That's no longer what the Xterra is. And that's what the griping is about. Where is the barebones SUV the Xterra was supposed to be? It's stuck in 2004, never to be brought back.
You own a Frontier, what do you care anyway? How do you feel about the exact same points in relation to the Frontier? It has the same "pavement-pounding" engine with "virtually no low-end torque." It has a 4x2 "Nismo" Off-Road version, with a locker no less, some "tow vehicle" eh?