Wow, there's just so much testosterone being exuded around here. I agree that the new 05 X corrects a lot of older problems, most notably the lack of power present in earlier models. I also like some of the other smaller mods, like the lack of carpeting in the cargo area. I really need to get out and test drive the new X sometime this summer, with grad school and work temporarily finished.

I will say, however, that I am glad I bought the '04 in August last year. I was debating pretty heavily on waiting, but to be honest, this 2004 is plenty capable as an outdoor vehicle for my purposes, and the 05 X in its most basic 4WD range has inched out of the price range I was looking at. I also am not entirely thrilled with the looks of the new X (the only colors I really enjoy are the black and night armour), but, as another poster pointed out, this is the new X and we must embrace it if we wish to eventually own another capable and outdoor worthy X.

And to the person who called the 2004 X a... what was it... ah yes, a "[pussified] soccer mom vehicle," for one, you never said which features you found to violate the "everything you need, nothing you don't" slogan. For two... the difference between my 2004 XTerra and a soccer mom vehicle is in the use of it- mine's generally covered in dirt and mud (not handprints), with an XOC label (not a magnetic soccer ball), a hitch that carries my bikes (the kind without handlebar streamers, thanks) and heavy duty floor mats that protect the inside from more than a spilled milk shake.

I guess I just don't get the trading of insults here... this starts with one persons opinion of the new X, that doesn't warrant labeling my 2004 as a soccer mom vehicle. As others have pointed out... to each his own. I love my 2004 X more every day that I spend in it, and am still getting used to the changes instilled in the new X. Does that mean I hate it? No, it means that I will grow to love it as I did the older X's.

Enough of the proverbial mud slinging, boys. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions!!