We see a ton more issues with the manual trannies than we do with the autos. First gear stripping in the mannies is the big one. Clutches being the second one.

The autos in the Pathfinders usually have one issue, and that is the secondary input shaft stripping where it engages the torque convertor, sending metal and debris throughout the trans, causing catastrophic failure.

We haven't seen anything like that with the newer autos, as I believe they've strengthened the hardness of the failing shaft. That, and the electronics of the auto itself can help the transmission out (upping line pressure when excessive slippage is occuring throught the line pressure solenoid) when needed.

I just checked ASIST, and there is Nissan tip on the issue for Xtoolbox's Blackhawk.

Double check the banjo bolts for the transmission cooler lines! Make sure they've been drilled. According to the tip, some bolts made it through the machining process, without being drilled! This would cause the fluid to never go through the cooler, and cause the transmission to run hot.

Now, I would've thought that the transmission would've shelled long before this, if this was the case, especially what with what we put them through. So I doubt Xtoolbox will find a problem there, but just to be sure...you know?

I think the autos are fine. I'll always have an auto, even if my unit does fail, I won't be putting in a manual, no way!