Unbelieveable...

I got a ride out to Thousand Oaks. I was so excited, I was a mix of 'should I be doing this' and 'Oh man, I'm gonna have so much fun'.

The dealer rolls up with it and I ask for a quick spin. He says sure.

I get inside and... no VDC button. Huh? No fold down front seat? But... No Utility Package. Where's the Utility package?

The dealer feels terrible and says that his paperwork said 'Power utility package'. I never saw his paperwork to confirm this. I tell him I need a minute and he gives me some room.
I'm this close to getting a new Xterra and this happens. I talk it over with the person who drove me out there and she's saying if I'm happy with it, then no biggie. If I have to talk myself in to it, it's no good. I decide to take it out for a drive, all the same.

It's got no get up and go. I step on the gas from a stop and it kind of growls and goes, but the engne is clearly working hard. Maybe my head is playing tricks on me. I drive it again, but it's becoming clear that I'm not happy with it.

I'm so depressed. And it's the only 4x4 he's got. I tell him I'm going to sleep on it, but we both know it's not going to happen.

I'm so incredibly bummed. When my ride drops me off back home, I go to a nearby dealer just to see if my mind was playing tricks on me. They have a S 4x4 and drives like a dream. There's no mistaking the difference between the two. This one doesn't growl. It's quite like the many others I've tested.

Guys, I have to say, I'm burned out. I would like to have one, but after all I've been through, I think I'm going to back away from this for a bit and give myself a rest. Maybe I'll wait until the 06 comes out. The thought of going through this again does not excite me, I can gell you.

I really thought I'd be out kicking up some dirt today. sigh...