Quote:
Originally posted by roygil15:
Sidebar, I haven't read anything on it, but was talking to a coworker who is an electrical engineer. She said that the carbon footprint for a hybrid car is greater than that of a regular car. Granted if you get a civic, it will get a lot better mileage than an Xterra, but doesn't sound like Hybrid's are really the answer for the evironment. Just clever marketing to make the hippies feel better.

I have done no independent research so take that for what it is worth, but I thought it was interesting.
WORD. It is a world of misinformation, brother. I consider myself environmentally concious, but I'm also educated and informed. Driving hybrids and recycling sound great on paper, but so many people just don't have the big picture.

Recycling for example...the ONLY material that is both cost and, more importantly, environmentally friendly to recycle is aluminum. Re-using glass is close also. Paper is HORRIBLY environmentally unfriendly to recycle, due to chemical usage and transportation emissions. It's better to source new paper from tree farms. That's just one example, yet no one knows this stuff. They are too busy being self-righteous.

As fas as gasoline, who cares? There's no environmental responsibility in using less of it! Either way there is X amount left. We either burn it in ten years driving Hummers, or in fifty driving Priuses, and it creates the same emissions along the way. It's just delaying the inevitable. The only advantage is to your personal wallet, not the planet.

laugh