C's Tonka,

You are right, no improved loading. But, since I am 6'1", with a lifted X, Adding 4-6" on top of everything else makes it nearly impossible to load things. Additionally, the length of most racks is shorter than the roof rack, thereby IMO less stable. Having something longer than 60" as a rack would be a benefit, but I have not found it. The stock roof rack has 6 points of connection and are secure. Adding a basket, rack whatever on top increases the number of places to cut loose, etc....

Now I have seen some trucks that look incredible with the roof rack, but, spending a few hundred on something that really does not add significantly over the stock rack does not make sense to me. But then again, we all see things differently.

I would welcome a flush rack/nest of basket. Better yet, give me something that replaces the cross members and ride lower to the roof line between the rails. Thereby giving me the ability to store gear/supplies and not interferring with my ability to load lumber on the top.

Todd
First Xterra IFS or SAS up Moab Rim...#2 up Mt. Blanca.
African Adventure pictures....
http://homepage.mac.com/ahlenius/