Apple stocks just took a hit because the number of iPhone activations the last two days of the quarter weren't as high as analysts expected. Just personally - I have yet to see one on the loose, and I gotta assume half the reason someone spends $600 on a phone is to be seen with it.

I also read CNETs review. They gave it an 8 out of 10, very high for CNET. I get how this phone is already the best MP3 player/phone on the market and will be the bees knees in a generation or two when it's 3G (internet surfing speed is currently barely better than dialup), improved memory, they allow some 3rd party apps, and it can actually send and receive picture messages - but to give it an 8 just because it plays tunes and pre-loaded video better? I don't get it.

One CNET reviewer went so far as to call it the best gadget he's ever owned (accompanied by a picture of his children praying to the phone). I'd get bored with the thing and want my real time weather maps, free streaming TV and planetarium software back. Hell, at the very least I'd still want to picture message obscene messages back and forth to my friends.

I gotta admit I'm fascinated by the impact marketing can have on a cool looking gadget, thus why I've been following the developments.