"Don't get me wrong I've driven in snow twice and ice once. I never bothered to put it in 4WD. I felt no need to even on unplowed roads"

--------------------------------------

I hear comments like this, but never understand why. If you have 4wd, and you're driving on snow or ice, why not put it in 4wd? I know you can "get away" with it if you take it easy, but why not take advantage of the extra capabilities of your truck. If someone locks up their car and starts sliding at you, being in 4wd and being able to accelerate out of the way is going to save you and your truck.

In my old 4x4 subaru I was coming back from skiing with one car ahead of me. On a banked turn he slid into the right side snow wall. I geared down to stop before him, but glancing in the rear view mirror saw all the traffic that had been tailgating was locking their wheels up and starting to slide.

I started to move to the left of the damaged vehicle, but he started sliding on the banked turn, and was coming right at me.

Well I was in 4wd, had studded snow tires on, and gave it some gas and accelerated between the left snow wall and his bumper free and clear.

Everyone else was not so lucky.

I guess my point is you can often get by with less, but why? I had good tires, we were driving downhill, the subaru has front wheel drive when 4wd is not engaged, so I could have made it if nothing had gone wrong.

But something did, and having it in 4wd, gave me additional steering and traction control that saved my butt when I needed it.

Guess this post has gone on a bit. If you have it, use it please. You might be able to save yourself and someone else from damage out there this winter.