I really like my 2WD. I was surprised at how well the 4x2 handles off road. If the ground is hard-packed, no problems at all. Over large rocks you have to be careful, but still not too much of a problem.

On a recent trip to Anza-Borrego State Park with SCCX, I was able to make it through 2 fairly deep (2~2.5 feet) water crossings and up the first rock garden squeeze on the way to Sheep Canyon. After that, I parked and hitched a ride in a 4x4. You just have to use your judgement. The next day, we cruised around Ocotillo Wells OHV area - lots of sand. Made it up Devil's Backbone... eventually. I began to lose traction and dig myself a hole, but was eventually able to work myself all the way up--unassisted. I was VERY impressed at that one. There was only one instance where I had to back down to avoid a stuck.

Overall, the 4x2 X is very capable off the pavement. Sure, it's not going to get you EVERYWHERE, but you'd be surprised how far you can go before you have to park and ride (or go back).

I got a 4x2 for financial reasons (like most people here) - specifically, insurance. It was going to cost me ~$500 MORE every 6 months. For now, I'm more than happy with my 2WD.

Ivory Kid wink