---at risk of starting a huge fued again.... I wanted to point out a couple things here------

Quote:
Originally posted by ClaptoVaughn:
sometimes it's not an option to get a 4x4 (financial restrictions at the time of vehicle purchase) so they fix up their 4x2 to improve it's offroad performance.
absolutely right, aside from a 2k increase in initial cost of the vehicle here in CA insurance jumps by several hundred

Quote:
yes, a 4x4 to start off with is ideal
not always a 4x4 is not the ideal choice for a "desert runner" then again an SUV really isn't Ideal, so I guess its about even, but given they are both Xterras the 2wd is a better choice.
Quote:

but it seems the assumption here is that 2wd's are only lifted for looks.
i personally know of a few 4x2's that're lifted, and yes they wheel often. can they handle everything a 4x4 can? no but they're pushing their limits in their own way.
In 4x4 style trails no a 2wd will not do as well as a 4x4... that sems obvious... but ignore that, modifying any vehicle with a lift, larger tires a locker, skid plates, etc. will increase its performance abilities... who cares what the base line is...

At some point a 2wd Xterra lifted, locked, maybe revolver shackles... will have enough mods to go places a stock 4x4 Can not...

don't agree?

My truck is not modifed much at all... but at the Last westx i lead a run... one of the 4x4's in the group got hung up due to step rails, stock tires and picking the wrong line...

Driver has a lot to do with it...

All other things equal(mods, driver, etc.) the 4x4 has a huge advantage over the 2wd in 4x4 style trails... but anything you do to shift the scales will help narrow that gap