Hey guys:

I searched, but couldn't find anything too useful.

What do you think of a come-a-long to use as a recovery device. I don't have anything right now and don't feel easy about attemping challenging trails for fear of getting stuck.

I have heard that most come-a-longs are too weak, able to pull only 2000 - 4000 lbs or so. Some have commented they are also dangerous, with the operator so close to it.

While searching for the biggest and strongest come-a-long at a local tools store (KMS), I saw a few 4 ton rated ones, I guess 8000 lbs. But they still have the operator too close. Then the salesman recommended that I take a look at a used, so called industrial come-a-long.

Basically, it was a really large one, and instead of the usual ratcheting handle, you use a piece of pipe, which can be any length you prefere. The cable is also much thicker, pretty much the same as winches. He told me it'll pull 10 tons with ease. It's pretty cheap, $35. It's old, but after a sandblast and some fresh rust paint, it'll look like new.

What do you think about it? should I avoid anything with a ratchet system? Are they reliable during trail use? can they really pull you out? The store also sells 48 inch farm jacks (a lowtech high-lift pretty much) for $30. They can pull 6000, but I've got no use for it otherwise since I have stock bumpers and no hitch.

Thanks