Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
Quote:
Originally posted by ChefTyler:
[b]Ok, so if I lived in Finland, my entire life I'm working to put other people through school even though I decide to stop after an undergraduate degree. Fuck that, if someone wants to further their education they can damn well fund it themselves, not depend on me and the rest of the country to do it for them. No thanks.
And yet they have a VERY high standard of living.

Let me ask you this...

Do you fight having to pay taxes that pay for schools here?

Do you fight having to pay taxes that pay for the fire department, even if you've never had to call them?

It is YOUR choice to not go on to more education. A large percentage of Fins go for it. If it's paid for, why the hell would you NOT go on? You know...better your standing and all.[/b]
I have no issues with funding public school through high school, after that I have no desire to pay for tuition for others.
I have no issues paying taxes to fund the police and fire departments or the military, they provide protection.
If most people in a country end up getting graduate degrees and doctorates that doesn't improve my standing, it puts me back at equal standing. Again, no thanks.