First let me say I don't pretend to know the solution to all this, but here's my problem with the "arm everybody" argument. Leave your home and go to any crowded area, or just drive down the freeway. Look around at the people you see. Hell, just think about some of the flame wars you've read on this very site. Do you relish the thought of those people walking around carrying concealed weapons?

People routinely have fistfights over parking spaces, the umpiring at their kid's Little League game, whether Roethlisberger scored in the Super Bowl, and fender benders. Right, let's put them in those same situations, but armed.

If there was a "reasonable person" screening test, that would be great, but there isn't. Many people shouldn't be licensed to drive cars. Many clearly aren't quailifed to be parents. Many can't properly fill out an employment application. But let's give them guns?

I've never purchased a weapon so if there's some enlightenment one of you gun enthusiasts can offer about the process that addresses this, please do.