Quote:
Originally posted by Claus:
I never knew John Krakauer wrote about it. have almost all his books and love the way he writes. I met Krakauer at a book signing for "Into Thin Air" back in 98.
Yeah I have all of his books. Just finished Eiger Dreams a couple weeks ago. "Under The Banner Of Heaven" is totally unlike all of his other books. It's not about mountaineering at all. It's a documentary about a couple of Mormon Fundamentalists in the 80's who "heard God" tell them they had to murder one of their wives and kid. So they did, and then went on the run. To help the reader understand the mentality that led these men to do this, Krakauer goes into great detail about the founding of the religion from day one, and its travels across the nation. There's a whole section on the Massacre. It's not exhaustive, and some have panned its accounting of that particular event as being too brief. But I thought the book was absolutely fascinating. You should check Amazon.com to see if you can pick up a used copy for a couple bucks. Well worth it.