Quote:
Originally posted by rift:

Madman, I think the truest mark of the flavor and intent of this event is not found in the event itself, but what happened afterwards. After all was said and done, relatives and loved ones of those who were murdered went to that spot and erected a monument to honor their families. Brigham Young then ordered his men to go and tear it down. That is pure spite and hatred. And yes, I believe it is also an evidence of his mania. He was a nut job, as was Joseph Smith.
I'm not interested in arguing whether Brigham Young or Joseph Smith were nuts. I don't know if they were or not. Maybe they were nuts. I'm not the guy to answer that question.

I do know that a lot of evangelicals or born again Christians don't like Mormons. Do you belong to one or the other?

I'm not asking as a form of judgment or anything, but I do know that there is a lot of anti-Mormon bias among those groups.

I've only known about two Mormons in my life so I don't really have an opinion of them. The ones I have known were very nice people who would do anything for anyone.

But.... I am also curious of the fact that the media never or rarely ever discussed Mormonism in the past. I don't recall movies ever being made about Mormons or anything about their past.

It seems odd that when a Mormon Republican decides to run for president, all of a sudden the public is inundated with Mormon related media projects.

We have had a Mormon as Senate Majority Leader for years. Nothing about Mormons was created by media outlets when he ascended to his position. But then again, he is a Democrat.

A recent presidential candidate, Senator Chris Dodd, has a Mormon wife. The media never mentioned that fact in any discussions during his campaign.

Why is it when a Republican who is a Mormon comes to the public attention, all of sudden there is now a need to discuss everything bad about the Mormons and their past.

It's more than just a mere coincidence.