A dog is nothing more than a domesticated wolf. A wolf is much more powerful (especially the jaw muscles) but that inherant animalism can never be "breeded" out. Ive trained my dogs to act aggresively based upon verbal cues that my wife or I give to the animal...it can be turned on and off but I still dont trust them as I will never completely trust any animal for the above reason.

Be that as it may they have never attacked or threatened to attack but it is in them same as for a Yorkie or Toy Poodle. In addition they are never off a lease, we have a 5ft tall rock wall with an extra 3ft of chain link so they can not get out with a case hardened chains and locks on the gate. If someone gets into my backyard or enters our home without us inviting them the dogs are trained to act accordingly.

We take great responsibility in ensuring that when people we know or invite arrive the dogs act fine but then there is the switch that can be thrown.

Pit Bulls have been breed to be non-aggressive towards humans..but aggressive towards other dogs, especially another dominate male dog.

I agree that owners should be responsible for the animal but it is not the animals fault that Joe Dirt keeps the animal tied up behind his trailer and throws beer cans at him....you live like that and see if your not aggressive towards humans. Nor do I agree that lawsuits should be filed unless severe negligance can be shown on the owners behalf.

I am sorry about your wifes attack but proper training would have eliminated serious hand injury. My best friend is an MP and they train their dogs with what is called a "wrap". Basically a large extremely padded sleeve that fits over your arm. Once the dog latches on they wont release until the handler calls them off. For that reason you can use to your advantage if attacked by a charging dog.

If the animal is charging you with its ears back, mouth open guess what....it wants you. Stand your ground like a wrestler would and present the dog with what it wants your weaker arm. The dog will go for that target as it will be closer and easy to grab onto since it will be perpindicular to the animals mouth. Meanwhile retrieve a small pocket knift (I always carry one while walking my dogs) and since the dog has attacked your arm you have a perfect opening to slash the animals vulnerable underbelly or neck. You may not have to kill the animal but your goal is to survive at this point. It will hurt you but puncture wounds on your forearm are better than a ripped apart hand.

Just some advice that unfortunately I know works. Take it for what you will.....

Tim

Thomas Jefferson