T Ray - I guess the highly educated actuaries working at insurance companies are all dumbasses, too. They take emotion completely out of the equation and just analyze at the money - yet they come to the same conclusion I do. That whole predator/prey analysis you gave me speaks more to your misguided (and frankly, disturbing) set of principles than to some kind of excuse why it's ok to own highly dangerous breeds that can cause destruction on a scale unlike most normal dogs.

As for you claiming everyone smart enough to stay away from a breed of dog capable of killing a grown man means they're racist.....wow. I don't know where to begin with that one. I'm glad you included it though, as it did more to take away from any arguement you had rather than helping it.

And as for you calling my wife a "dumb shit" for intervening instead of letting the two pits kill a member of our family, again - thanks. It's attitudes like that that will make anti-pit legislation that much easier to pass.

All I'll say to you other proud pitbull owners out there is enjoy the high deductible/no coverage/deny-every-claim homeowners insurance you'll have to pick up if your dog bites someone.

The couple that owned the pits that bit my wife eventually had to sell their house. Probably from a combination of not being able to get insurance and being completely ostricized by their neighbors. The local kids weren't allowed anywhere near that house.

Why put yourself in a position where that's even a possibity when there are so many breeds of dogs that were bred to be companions, not bred to be blood-thirsty killing machines? If your answer is that you need an animal bred to be a killing machine for some kind of protection, then I highly recommend that you increase your skill sets so you can move someplace safer.

I don't care what kind of pets you have if you live someplace isolated, but in the middle of a neighborhood full of kids running around, everyone has to play by the community rules. And #1 on that list is being responsible enough to not put others in harms way. It's no coincidence that this breed is most popular in the worst neighborhoods. Dangerous people gravitate towards dangerous activities.

Finally, I realize I'm painting with a broad brush here. I'm sure there are plenty of well-intended people on the other side of this debate. It's a shame so many irresponsible and reckless people have identified with the breed you love so much - but they have, and something needs to be done about it.