Pit bulls are a popular topic here on XOC. There seems to always be a new thread regarding these dogs that pops up.

Some people love them and claim the owners are always at fault for any bad behavior by the breed. Some people claim they are a bad breed of dog and prone to aggression and attack.

One thing is certain. They are physically capable of doing more damage than most breeds of dogs due to their superior bite pressure and their aggressive nature once it is triggered.

I don't know who is correct in this argument. I only know my personal opinion of pit bulls. I would never completely trust one of them. The same goes for Rots. (I don't care much for Dobermans either. But I do love most other breeds of dogs)

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) published a study concerning deaths from canine attacks. They found over a period of time, about one third of such attacks were done by pit bull type dogs.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/duip/dogbreeds.pdf

Can that high percentage of attacks by a particular type of dog all be due to bad owners or does the breed play a large factor?